Carpet Care & Maintenance
All warranties require compliance with Royalty’s recommended care and cleaning instructions and are voided if not followed.
Topical treatments (including many fungicides, bactericides, biocides, anti-statics and stain resists, etc.) may adversely affect the soil resistance, stain resistance and/or other benefits of Royalty carpet. These warranties exclude any claim or liability for defects and damages to Royalty carpet caused by such topical treatments.
There are three key aspects to maintaining your Royalty carpet:
- Frequent, thorough vacuuming.
- Prompt clean-up of spills.
- Periodic professional care and cleaning.
All information herein is provided so that you can maintain and enjoy your carpet for years to come.
The most important thing you can do to keep your carpet looking great is to vacuum it thoroughly and frequently, particularly in high-traffic areas. Additionally, the use of walk-off mats at entrances will help minimize dirt particles being tracked onto the carpet and reduce soil accumulation.
Vacuuming helps remove dirt particles which dull the carpet’s appearance. For best results, use a vacuum cleaner with beater bars and good suction. Change bags and filter routinely, and keep recovery tanks clean. A good vacuum is vital for prolonging the life of your carpeting.
The Carpet & Rug Institute publishes a list of approved vacuum cleaners on its website – www.carpet-rug.org. Carpet warranties may be voided if a non-approved vacuum is used.
Basic Steps for Cleaning Common Food & Beverage Stains
What you will need:
- Clean white cloths or white paper towels
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon mild, clear liquid dishwashing liquid (do not use a dishwashing liquid that contains hand lotion)
1. Immediately scoop up as much of the spill as possible. Then blot, do not rub, with clean white absorbent cloth or paper towels to remove excess moisture. Use a wet/dry vacuum if spill is large.
2. Most stains clean up with warm, not hot, water applied to the stained area. Blot with clean white cloth or paper towels. Press down firmly to remove as much moisture as possible. Do not rub, as rubbing can alter the carpet’s texture. Repeat until no stain is evident on cloth or towels.
3. If stain remains on carpet, make a solution of warm water and mild dishwashing liquid (1/4 teaspoon to 1 cup water). Using a clean white cloth or sponge, apply enough solution to cover stain and let soak for 5 minutes.
4. IMPORTANT: Blot up the excess moisture. Rinse with warm water and blot thoroughly using a clean white cloth or sponge to extract water. Repeat until all detergent is removed - any residual detergent may accelerate soiling.
5. Absorb remaining moisture with layers of white paper towels, weighted down overnight with non-staining glass or ceramic object.
6. When completely dry, vacuum or brush the pile to restore texture.
Reappearing Stains: After drying, if the stain reappears, it may be because some of the stain remained deep in the pile and “wicked” up to the surface. If so, repeat steps 3 through 6.
Soiling is the build-up of dirt particles and other similar materials that cling to the carpet fibers and dull their beauty. Over the course of time, these particles and materials can accumulate within the carpet pile and result in a gradual dulling of the carpet’s color. When you notice this situation is not corrected by vacuuming, it is time to have your carpet cleaned by a trained, qualified carpet care professional.
It is important to respond to the soiling situation when you first notice it, since this will help make the cleaning easier and more efficient. We recommend professional hot water extraction (also known as steam cleaning) every 12 months. Depending on soil build-up, traffic type and color of carpeting, such as lighter shades, professional cleaning may be needed more often.
Note that under most stain and soil resistance warranties, professional carpet cleaning is required within 30 days prior to making a warranty service request. You will also need to provide documentation that the carpet has been properly maintained following our recommended guidelines since date of installation.